What We Believe About Giving
We’re called to give. How much? How come? How about…
The Old Testament view of giving 1/10th back to God was a way of acknowledging God’s Lordship over all of life. The promises of the Old Testament are full of the hope that God would bless His people with abundant resources as long as they worshiped Him with their tithe. The only problem was that the the old covenant (before Jesus) was one of religion and rules. They had to keep the rules and live according to the religion to be accepted by the Lord. People tried to keep those rules and lived according to that religion, but did so out of guilt rather than out of love.
The New Testament tells us, “But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When He was hung on the cross, He took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing.” Galatians 3:13 (NLT) Jesus paid for our sins, taking upon Himself our shame, thus removing guilt as a motivation for tithing to honor God.
The Apostle Paul put it this way: “You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ‘For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.’” 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NLT)
So, if we aren’t to be motivated by guilt, then does the concept of tithing even matter? If giving cheerfully is the real issue, does that mean that God gives a pass to me if I can’t bring myself to feel cheerful about it?
Based on the scriptures, here is a breakdown of What We Believe About Giving at Stone Ridge:
- We give out of love, not guilt. (Galatians 3:13)
- We give cheerfully. There’s great joy to be found in giving back to God! (2 Corinthians 9:7)
- We serve a generous God. Rich as Jesus was, He gave it all away for us. In one stroke, He became poor and we became rich. (2 Corinthians 8:9)
- We will be blessed when we respond to God with generosity. (Proverbs 11:25)
- We give from His treasure, not our own. (Psalm 24:1)
- We “declare our dependence” with our tithe. He is faithful to provide for all our needs when we surrender our tithes to Him. (Malachi 3:10)
- We let Him shape the desires of our hearts (Matthew 6:33 & Luke 12:34)
The Tithing Challenge:
Previously, on the 90 Day Tithing Challenge, we discovered that many people have wanted to tithe (give at least 10% of their income to God)…have believed that they SHOULD tithe…but have never been able to develop the discipline to tithe. The 90 Day Tithing Challenge helped them get started by promising encouragement, prayer support and a “Money Back Guarantee” that Stone Ridge would return all their tithes from the 90 Day Challenge, should they not be able to see God keep His promises to “pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in!” (Malachi 3:10 New Living Translation) If you haven’t been tithing, sign up for our next Tithing Challenge! You’ll find it on our Events Page.